News and views noted along the way.
- Ad nauseam - "The more we hate it, the more it agrees with us. How advertising turned anti-consumerism into a secret weapon."
- Warsaw—Day 12: All Nations Accept CO2 Targets - "For the first time, all countries of the world have agreed to make contributions in cutting greenhouse gas emissions to prevent the planet’s temperature rising above the 2°C danger limit previously agreed by politicians. Thirty hours after the climate conference in Warsaw should have ended, a series of compromises rescued the talks from collapse, although the deal fell far short of developing countries’ original expectations."
- How books about sport got serious - "The increasing importance - and quality - of sporting literature."
- Whom or What Are Literary Prizes For? - Daniel Mendelsohn: "The anxiety over awards is an anxiety about the mysteries of taste: who has it, how it operates"; Jennifer Szalai: "The true currency of prizes is recognition — in scarce supply as books struggle to cut through the glut of our crowded culture."
- Do people notice food labels?
- Political Correctness Could Affect Holiday Weight Gain